Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Somebody smart said nothing at all

Unfortunately, that somebody smart isn't me.

About six months ago, the paper based off of my dissertation was accepted by Mathematics of Computation which is a journal put out by the American Mathematical Society.  I had noticed since then that the paper had not been even listed as a pre-print on their site, much less actually published.  I contacted Andrew to see if this was an issue and he was surprised by it.  I was in the drawn out process (read: stalling) on constructing an email to send MCOM to see if they had gotten everything all right.  My stalling was successful as I was contacted last week about my home address so they could send me a galley proof for final edits.  I worked through them this past weekend and mostly just cringed at all of the comma splices.  There were really only two major errors - an extra parenthesis and a random exclamation point.

The most interesting part of going back through the paper was the immediate realization that I would have given up on reading the paper by the second page had I not written the darn thing.  Without the two years of working on that problem, I would have had no idea what was going on and it would have been over my head.  I'm impressed with how much good, legit mathematics was involved in that paper.  It'll be fun for me to link to it on the AU twitter account so nobody can read it, much less understand it; just like my dissertation.

Finally, the AU math department may start producing YouTube like videos for RedOrbit soon.  I'll be filming the pilot tomorrow covering the Futurama Theorem.  If this goes really well, I might actually be seen on the internet.  It may also go very poorly and I might look like a total doofus on the internet.  If that's the case, I won't be sending you the link.

1 comment:

  1. I like being the only one posting although I hear much of your family reads this... In any case, whether of not you post it I will be following this RedOrbit closely and post it myself...

    ReplyDelete