Saturday, December 6, 2014

That'd be one fine day

Friday was the last regular school day with exams coming up this week.  All I have left for this semester is grading.  I went ahead and booked my trip to Arkansas because I just want to get out of the Midwest real quick and because the only time I've been there before, I changed seats on the plane but never even made it into the airport so, hahaha, that doesn't even merit consideration for being there.  I'm going to try and knock out hikes to Hawksbill Crag, Signal Hill and Seven Hollows Canyon (all in different parks) on the same day and then check out Hot Springs National Park in the following day or two.  My usual end of the semester celebration with a Five Guys burger got bumped up to tonight since I didn't really want to stop for one for lunch in the middle of St. Louis and have to drive another four hours with that bloated feeling just taking over my gut since I can't not eat way too much every time I go to Five Guys.

Friday I also made my last student loan payment.  Instead of paying the minimum of $80/month for the next several years, I just went ahead and knocked out the last $5000 over the past six months.  It took me 10.5 years to pay back my loans to Trinity, but nearly eight of those years was in deferment thanks to grad school, so all in all, it wasn't actually that bad.  It'll be nice to be able to keep the extra cash come January but it may be even nicer just to realize I'm debt free except for the month's bills on the credit cards.  Ideally, that would all change come the end of summer when I find a nice house if I decide I really want to settle down here in Indiana (I'm close, but the lack of mountains....) and then I can start all over again with mortgage payments.  That'd suck, but it sure beats rent payments since I actually get something of permanent value out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment