Thursday, September 3, 2015

Mucho gusto, me llamo

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I was busy living out the last month of summer including a trip up to the bottom half of Sleeping Bear Dunes, a week at Menninga Island and a quick trip out to Denver.  I'll write up all about the end of summer in my next post which'll be about my success on this summer's goals list.

Instead, here's a quick post about the start of this semester, which set me up with an awesome schedule.  I have Calc I MTWF at 8 and 10 and Numerical on MWF at 9.  Seriously, that's it.  Nothing past noon and nothing on Thursday.  So what did I do?  I picked up that extra night section of Finite to once again supplement my income.  I also picked up a section of SPAN 1010 (as a student, not the worst professor ever) because my Spanish is limited to what I picked up from the migrant workers while working the berry fields in junior high.  That Spanish is not useful.  Besides, when I was in Puerto Rico, a couple natives started speaking to me in Spanish and I was completely lost.  I'd like to be able to travel to non-English speaking countries and be able to survive so I'm hoping this goes well and that I'll be able to continue it in the spring semester as well.  First things first though, is that this class is mildly terrifying.  There are two students in the class who have taken a math class with me and they did not do overly well and I don't know how they feel towards me.  That's not even the big issue though.  I'm used to being the one in charge and with that, I have mastery of the subject material and now I've changed the dynamic so I know jack squat.  Its even made harder by the fact that its a foreign language so even my ability to communicate properly has been stripped away.  I don't know how Lindsey loves this stuff and flourishes in it, but more power to her.  Nearing the end of this first week, there's a decent number of people in the class who realize that I am a professor and I'm not sure if they have expectations that I'll excel at this.  I know my ego wants me to excel, but I think its probably best for everyone if they can see me struggle but also see the work ethic that I have developed which will hopefully help me get better and learn to say more than just my name.  One thing I am waiting for is the day when I slip and drop back into my German and just really start confusing my languages.

Also, a quick update on my knee since I got that checked out this morning.  The doctor told me I have an atypical injury in that I do have a partial tear of my patellar tendon, but I essentially tore the back of the tendon.  All of my other tendons and ligaments are fine and there's no immediate action that is needed.  Its sore simply because the tear happened in a very dynamic place and it will take a while for the scar tissue to stabilize.  He wants me to come back if things are still painful at the end of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment