Sunday, April 17, 2016

What a day, what a day

The time from Friday afternoon through Saturday night have been some of the most packed hours I've had in recent memory.  Lindsey and I have been seriously house hunting for about a month or so and thus, when a couple houses with good potential came on the market earlier this week (Read Wednesday or Thursday as the market has been crazy), we contacted our realtor and set up a showing for as soon as possible.  That turned out to be Friday afternoon at 5 so that's where the story starts.  We first looked at a house out in Ingalls that was nice and really quite cheap, but I wasn't totally feeling it and there's not a whole heck of a lot out in Ingalls anyway.  Next, we went out to Noblesville to check out two more, one of which we were very excited about.  House 1 was a little expensive, but we liked it a quite a bit even though we were just checking it out on a whim.  House 2 was the one we really wanted to see, but as it turns out, we definitely weren't alone on that.  They intentionally played the market by making everyone wait nearly two days to come see it so when we got there, we were one of five potential buyers checking it out.  Lindsey and I decided we actually liked house 1 better, but again, it was more expensive and not by an insignificant amount.  At this point, it was getting to be about 7 and I had to be back on campus on 8 for trivia.  Lindsey and I definitely had some decisions to make, but we put that off to Saturday per my request.

At trivia, our team consisted of three of AU's math faculty as well as three math majors/minors.  Last year, I wasn't on the team but they added me this year.  Last year, the team led all the way until the final round, before eventually taking second.  This year, there were significantly more teams, and we ended up taking second again.  I got back home after trivia around 10:30 but spent the next hour or so working out the financial details to see if we could actually make it work to buy one of the houses we had seen earlier that day.  I went to bed around 11:30 and slept fitfully due to concerns over whether we could make this work.  Normally, I'd just sleep in in the morning, but I was getting up at 6, so I could drive over to a buddy's house so we could run for a while.  

I got up at 6, drove over to Treg's place, we met up with Josh and ran for 11 miles.

After running, I headed over to Lindsey's place and we talked through all of the money stuff and determined that we could make an offer on house 1.  We called our realtor and got everything set up.  Since the market is ridiculous right now, she put our offer in and only had it last until 8 that night so as to discourage the sellers from waiting out for other offers.  I then drove back home because I got to shave and get all pretty for prom that night as we were to be chaperones.  Every time my phone went off that afternoon, I checked to see if it was a text or email from our realtor, but instead, it was a bunch of other group texts that were great, but not potentially life altering great.  Finally, as Lindsey and I were desperately searching for a place to park, our realtor's text came through.  The offer wasn't accepted or rejected, but instead, the sellers had made a counter offer as they didn't want to cover any closing costs.  We debated what our counter-counter offer should be and about an hour or so later texted our realtor saying what we wanted.  Our realtor listened to us, then somewhat ignored it, instead contacting the sellers and essentially asking them to reconsider.  She's good at what she does so she was able to convince them to do so and we ended up getting the house for our initial offer! We then spent the rest of prom not really being concerned with prom and instead focusing on the fact that we had now agreed to buy a house.  I sent more texts last night than pretty much any other night in my life except for possibly our engagement night.  So yeah, I bought a house while at prom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment