Monday, July 14, 2014

I'm being myself, who are you?

I know who I am.  I'm not perfect. There's no need to nod that vigorously.  But yeah, I've got my rough edges and I can be a little raw and can be somewhat abrasive at times.  I like this about myself as I never want to be a finished product.  Certain ex-girlfriends would gladly volunteer that there are times when I can be an insensitive clod.  Its not that bad though - I have been very well liked by every ex's mom though.  I am the type of guy you bring home to mom.  I just don't necessarily fit in with the upper class of society and I like it that way.  I can't wait to have a five year old son so we can share a sense of humor because I still do love me a good fart joke.  I know who I am, but I don't always identify the way I should.  This comes back to something Scott preached about yesterday.  Its easy to start listing off all the things that make me me, but I don't always identify in Christ the way I should.  When things start to go wrong (because of things I've done), I get down on myself instead of seeing myself the way God does, as a clean and forgiven creation of His, and seriously, how awesome is that?  Instead of letting things spiral further, there needs to be a point where I just shake it off and move on and try harder the next time.  Legalism gets nobody anywhere.  I just finished Mark Batterson's "In a pit with a lion on a snowy day" and one of the big things I took away from that was to stop worrying about all of the little things I've done wrong and to start focusing instead on all the things I can do right.  We've all sinned and fallen short and we all definitely will keep doing that continuously.  Knowing that though, let's do something with what we have and step up and see what amazing things we can do instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment