Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Turn off the lights and turn on the stereo

I like these monthly update posts because it means I can put up any lyrics I want for the title.  Today, I'm going with Iamdynamite's 'Stereo'.

I know we just had one the other day, but I really want a good thunderstorm tomorrow night.  It can't come in the middle of the night either.  One of the things I definitely want in a house is a covered porch where I can just grab a drink and sit outside and admire the ferocity of a good thunderstorm where God just lets you know that He's still in charge, but you're taken care of.  A little fear can be quite healthy.

Back to the update:
1) Work harder.  This is a failure for the month.  I got a little bit of math set up, but I definitely need to put in some decent hours this month and have better communication with Andrew as I work through it.  The physical work might have gone worse.  I stopped doing P90X2 because it became a chore and lets face it; I'm a runner at heart and I missed it.  Once registration opens, there's a good chance I'll sign up for next year's Flying Pig Marathon in Cincy.  I'm a sucker for punishment.

2) Play harder.  The trip to Michigan at the start of the month wasn't much for play.  The trip out to Kansas City/Taum Sauk/St. Louis most definitely was and it made me happy, even if probably wasn't worth it based on the cost and miles traveled.  Getting to celebrate at Sara's wedding was a lot of fun too.

3) Travel more.  So many miles put on the car this past month.  Michigan, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Racine.  I satisfied this goal easily this month.

4) Read more.  After finally finishing East of Eden, I made up for things by knocking out Marie Lu's Legend in the next 24 hours and Nathanael Tilton's The Blackjack Life in the following 72 hours.  I've also gone through the first 200 pages or so of The Book Thief.

5) Drink better beer.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to hit up Boulevard while I was out in KC, but its still been a good month beer-wise.  I've got a few Oberons left in the fridge and stopped by Osgood for some good stuff with Brooke and put down a Rail Splitter the other night with the church softball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment