Monday, April 20, 2015

I hurt myself today

Recently, I had being a little bit of soreness and just kind of a dead spot behind my left shoulder blade.  Last night, I started using a tennis ball to try and roll it out much like I do with my foam roller.  After a minute or so, I got a good pop and then kept going for a little bit, but things took a turn for the worse.  A couple minutes later, my shoulder was feeling completely dead and if I laid on the ground on my back, it hurt just to be there.  I had something similar to this about five years ago and it sucked.  I was able to get an appointment at MSU's D.O. Clinic and they took care of it fairly quickly.  Once this goes away again, I'll need to make sure I spend plenty of time stretching.

I was able to email one of my colleagues in the kinesiology department this morning and she took a look at it this afternoon.  We're trying positional release therapy.  Round 1 helped a little but I'm still in a decent amount of pain and have very limited flexibility.  There's some tingling going on in my index finger as well.  My colleague told me its the worst case of muscle fasciculation she's experienced and she completely understands the pain I'm in.  To be fair though, she came to Anderson with me so she may only have been doing this a few years. She tells me that my nerves have essentially knotted up and there having a hard time relaying information.  The goal of the PRT is to relax those nerves and stretch them out again and hopefully then everything will be fine.

The worst part of this is that I just don't feel like myself since my ability to be active and athletic has been taken away.  I was told I could do anything that doesn't cause me pain, but that likely won't be much.  The marathon is coming up in two weeks and California is in five weeks.  I would be incredibly disappointed if this affected either of those.  I'm a little depressed right now from it anyway, but that might be a side effect of only getting two hours of sleep last night.  I try to stretch at all and the pain comes shooting back and I hate this.  Prayers would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment