Thursday, December 5, 2013

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old

I must first say that I am very ready for Christmas break and the end of the semester.  The students I have in my sections of Finite are fine, but the material just isn't that exciting.  It's my actual math majors in my other classes that have my frustration levels starting to boil over.  Admittedly, I wasn't a great student my first year or two at Trinity.  All I cared about were my math and chemistry classes and so the other classes weren't a priority and I blew them off occasionally.  Its not something I'm proud of, but I'm not terribly ashamed of it either.  However, when its actual math students not showing up to math major classes, I get angry.  I have ten students in Differential Equations.  It isn't uncommon for there to only be three students there at the start of class and five of them have skipped on a frequent basis.  Similarly, I have 14 students who will finish Linear Algebra and at the start of class yesterday, I had seven of them there.  That class has started with as low as four.  Once again, there are four or five that skip on a fairly regular basis.  It is just mind-boggling to me that you can pay $35000 a year for tuition and then blow off the stuff about which you supposedly care.

Rant over.

I am looking forward to the break, but I am concerned about it as well.  I know mentioned back on Xanga that things change when I go home.  I revert back to who I was the last time I lived at home.  I don't know what it is, but I just change back to something else.  Its certainly no fault of my family's and I love being around them.  I just let my bad habits crop back up and I don't fight them as hard.  I struggle with eating right, working out consistently and occasionally skipping devotions.  Most likely, its just a case of idle hands.  If I don't have things demanding my constant attention for much of the day, I don't necessarily stay on target for what I should do.  This has gotten me to thinking about what I can do to take care of this.  The easiest thing is just to get out of the house and make myself busy.  I should try to get to East Lansing and Chicago for a couple of days.  I also noticed that Red River Gorge was listed in Backpacker Magazine's list of top 100 day hikes in the U.S. I wonder what hiking in Kentucky in January would be like.  Maybe I'll have to find out; or maybe, I'll save it until spring break and also explore Mammoth Cave and a whiskey distillery as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment