Saturday, November 22, 2014

I just wanna have something to do

A little follow up to last night's post before anyone (my mom) starts worrying about me.  Yes, it has been a tough week but I'll get through because I've got a God watching over me that always takes care of me.  Its been a tough week since I have a high standard of the type of man I want to be and lately there's been a large gap between that standard and who I actually am.  This week, that gap was simply because I didn't put the effort in and I've been drained/exhausted and am just existing to get to the break and catch my breath and get back it.

After a period like that where I spend significantly too much time on my couch, I start to worry that I'm a boring person, especially after I skipped a party last night so I could go to a movie by myself (Dumb and Dumber To - I'm not ashamed, but I probably should be).  Then I remember all the highlights of my summer including 1) A pretty awesome week of hiking out in Utah with my best friend which included the iconic Angel's Landing hike and the hike up to Observation Point which looks down on Angel's Landing and laughs.  There were also those few moments of panic as we nearly got lost in Canyonlands, 2) exploring underneath the Earth as I got to hike through parts of Mammoth Cave and have my interest in triathlons rekindled by a gay Jewish firefighter from Birmingham named Dakota, 3) an incredibly emotional week where I buried my grandfather and was a bridesman for my sister's wedding, all in the span of three days, 4) catching up with both high school friends and grad school friends as I made my way back to my hometown for the first time in 10 years, 5) having one girl have to tell another girl to stop jumping on my bed without pants on because that isn't nice, 6) nearly being caught on an open rock face during the middle of a thunderstorm that was actually accompanied by a tornado warning and 7) driving out to Kansas City to catch a baseball game with Lisa so we could keep a tradition alive which also included getting barbecue at a place Anthony Bourdain listed on his list of 12 places where you need to eat, driving to the high point in Missouri where I attempted hiking only to actually be caught in a downpour but also getting an email from my uncle which introduced me to the awesome girl I've been dating for the past several months.  That weekend also included a quick stop to go up the St. Louis Arch for the first time in many years and was also when I learned my grandfather died.  So yeah, I'm not really worried about the boring thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment