Friday, May 1, 2015

And it's a fine place to be

Happy post!

Yeah, technically, there's still exams to be written, given and graded, but screw it, I'm doing the summer goals post a little early because I want to use this weekend to accomplish the first one.

This is the 11th year of the summer goals and I still haven't managed to hit a perfect 10/10 yet.  Maybe this is the year.

1) Run the Flying Pig marathon.  I'm doing this Sunday morning.  Cincy is hilly and I've battled through a jammed knee and rolled ankle during training as well as currently being in therapy for a pinched nerve in my neck.  I'm not looking to p.r., I'll be happy to finish and I'll be even happier if I get a medal with a pig butt on it.

2) Take at least three awesome pictures of California.  Pinnacles, Yosemites, Lake Tahoe, Lassen Volcanic and San Francisco.  I don't think this should be too hard to do it.

3) Read both Journey Through Genius and Mathematics Through the Eyes of Faith,  I also want to watch Fermat's Room because I want to do some mathy stuff this summer.

4) Do an analysis on the probability distribution for starting hands for Texas Hold 'Em poker.  Actual mathy stuff that's out there, but I want a full distribution as opposed to just the winning probability.

5) Find more opportunities to volunteer.

6) Bike 100+ miles.  Step 1 is to buy a bike.  Step 2 is to make amends with my knees.

7)

8) Initiate the home buying process.  I certainly don't plan on actually buying something yet, but I should talk to a banker and see how much home I could actually afford.  After that, I need to get out and see what homes in my price range actually look like in both Fishers and Noblesville and maybe even Anderson if the first two depress me.  I'd check out Carmel too, but I can afford roughly a used refrigerator box out there.  Don't get me wrong, it'd be a really nice refrigerator box, but I want at least two rooms.

9) Hike another 14er and not do it solo this time.

10) Host a game night that includes the other math professors.  Hooray for a social life! Maybe I'll actually have one this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment