Friday, July 17, 2015

Welcome to Paradise

I'm hoping you got to witness the same sky that I just saw.  There were the blacks of the impending storm broken up by the occasional flash of lightning.  There were the bright orange and pinks of the sunrise.  And somehow, included with it all, hiding in the sparse breaks in the clouds, were the vibrant blues of what resembled a midday sky.  I don't know how it all works together, but it was magnificent and inspiring.  I've been thinking about a lot of things lately and every bolt of lightning I see and every sunset reminds me how much bigger my God is than my problems are.  The main thing I must do is just to be calm and know that He is God and let everything just run its course and I'll be fine no matter what happens.

One of the things I've been considering is the purchase of a house.  There's no specific property I want just yet, but I have been paying attention to what's out there in case anything strikes my fancy just right.  When I first started looking, I assumed I'd want to be down around the Noblesville/Fishers area, despite it being a significantly longer commute and definitely more expensive.  Now, I've moved my search further north and would prefer Pendleton or maybe even Anderson just for the sake of the cost.  Yeah, Anderson's still kind of a craphole, but in the past couple of years, its started to become my craphole.  I've grown to appreciate the city.  It certainly isn't an epicenter of culture or deep thought or even ethnic food, but it does have its benefits.  I'm reminded of that every time I go for a run through the poor areas of the city (everything surrounding my apartment complex) and I frequently get waves and shouts of encouragement from those who I wouldn't expect it from.  I remember talking to a couple of AU alums and hearing that while they were proud of their school, they wouldn't want people to associate them with the city of Anderson.  It struck me as strange at the moment, but now, its more sad.  If people want to think less of me because of the city I'm from or any similar characteristic such as that, that's their problem; I'm going to spend my time trying to make the best of the city I'm from.  I'm certainly not going to claim that I'm too good for any certain place and if I'm there, hopefully I'll grow to love it.

Pay attention to the cracked streets
And the broken homes
Some call it slums
Some call it nice
I want to take you through
A wasteland I like to call my home
Welcome to paradise

Home is what you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment