Monday, April 21, 2014

If I don't meet you no more in this world

Anderson gave everyone a four day weekend (Friday off for Good Friday, Monday off for a travel day after Easter) and I took advantage to say some possible goodbyes.  First, I drove up to my parents house so I could see them for the Easter break.  On Saturday, Dad and I went out and picked Grandma and went out to see Grandpa.  Its tough seeing him each time just because of how much of his brain the dementia has affected.  We visited with him for about an hour and a half and I don't think he actually knew who I was for the vast majority of it.  Near the end, I think things started to click a little bit, but once again, its always tough to see someone fall that far.  He is 93 though and it feels weird to say, but I actually hope that was the last time I see him.  Its so painfully obvious that he's ready to move on and meet his maker, but for some reason, God hasn't called him home yet.  I'm actually praying for this to happen just so Grandpa can find peace and happiness.  While it was a tough visit, Coop did remind me Sunday night that at least I got to say my good-byes and see him one last time and how much that actually means.

My other potential goodbye would have been to East Lansing.  I wanted to get out and talk to Andrew about some of the project I'll be working on this summer for expanding SDC.  More on that in a little bit.  Sunday night I drove out and took Coop out to dinner, then spent some time just walking around campus and I'm surprised by how much I actually miss that place.  For how much of it was a struggle, I have a great fondness for MSU and it will always have a special place in my heart.  Sunday night I then crashed at Richard's and caught up with him before he defends on Wednesday.  This was the reason I thought it might be goodbye as most of the remaining math guys I know at MSU are defending and moving on and who knows when I'll get the chance to see them again.  After this year, Coop's still around for a year as are Kenny and Eric and Luke, and while I like the guys, they aren't the strongest of the friendships I've made, but a lot of that is just because I had less time to interact with them.  This morning, I went and found Andrew and we talked about summer plans a little bit and I discussed projects with Matt and David as well.  I got lost about ten minutes in, so nothing's changed.  Half an hour into the talk I was questioning myself, just wondering what exactly I had gotten myself into.  However, things started looking a little better near the end and now I'll be headed back out to EL at least once or twice this summer to get some work done.  Besides that, I promised Coop that I'd be out for her defense next summer, so I've still got excuses to head back to State.  I followed that talk up with lunch with Adam and a couple games of cribbage with Kim, so all in all, it was a good time, but fairly exhausting and now I'm tired and really should just go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment