Saturday, May 3, 2014

You're only feeling stronger 'cause your body's getting numb

Based on the events from earlier in the week and the lack of goal work last month, I was going to originally skip doing a monthly goal update for April.  Then I had to go and rock the Indy Mini Marathon this morning so I want to brag about that and now I have to post.

1) Work harder - apparently all those winter miles paid off as I did this morning's Mini (aka half) Marathon in 1:33:12, a 7:07 pace.  I wanted a 7:20 pace and would have been thrilled with a 7:15 pace.  I started off doing 6:45 miles for the first four miles or so and then I just kept pumping out 7:00 miles for the next several miles.  I started to fade a little around mile ten as my hip started to feel a little discomfort but by then, I had built up enough of a buffer that I could have done 8 minute miles and still made 7:15 pace.  I am thoroughly pleased with this morning's results.

2) Play harder - uh, does running count?  If not, I don't really have much.  Wait until the end of May.

3) Travel more - see category 2.

4) Read more - this was the biggest failure of the month.  I may have read 30 pages of East of Eden.  I also knocked out about 75 pages in Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper.  I averaged 3 pages a day.  That's not good.

5) Drink better beer - the only thing I've had in my fridge this month has been the previously mentioned Smitten, which is totally decent and Triton's Sin Bin Ale which is totally mediocre and definitely not worth the price it goes for.

Next thought on this week.  Some of you may know that about six months ago, I had been struggling with not being disciplined in several areas of my life and had tried and failed at finding a way to improve on them.  It was then that I created a basic system on how to rate how I was doing.  I had six categories I check every day - devotions in the morning, devotions at night, not overeating, not drinking to the point where it affects me, working out, not viewing sexually explicit material.  If I did all six of those things, the day was worth $2.  If I got five of six, it was a $1 day.  Four or less and the day was worth nothing.  I didn't know originally what I would use the money for, but now that has created my Vegas fund for the coming trip which might not be the best use of it, but oh well.  Any way, despite the craptacular nature of the start of the week, this has actually been a really good week based on those criteria.  Since the start of this system, I've probably averaged roughly $1 a day with my best week being $11.  This week, assuming I do devotions tonight, will end up being a $13 week.  The only blemish was overeating on Friday, but that's a result of my desire for community and going out to lunch with all the other science profs.  Today might have qualified as a poor eating day, but I'm letting myself get away with it since I did run a half-marathon this morning and go for an hour long walk tonight.  I certainly don't expect $13 weeks to happen very often, but this was a most welcome week for it, especially since I had had two very poor weeks before it.

Final thought for the night.  Is it possible to not date someone because you've become too comfortable with them?  Hear me out on this.  Last night, while trying unsuccessfully to go to bed at 9:00 so I could be up at an awful hour for this morning's run, I thought about a lot of things and one of them ended up being this topic.  Namely, I have a friend I've known for several years now who is Christian, very intelligent, attractive, incredibly athletic, and really easy for me to talk to.  Depending on when you knew me in life, you either know who this is immediately or have no idea whatsoever.  We never dated because we never really broached the subject, mostly because we were friends but not particularly close friends and mainly just did stuff together with group stuff.  Additionally, when we first met, she was seeing someone and since we never really talked about things of this nature, I never knew when that was over.  There were a few other reasons I wouldn't have initiated anything, including that I thought she was out of my league, but its become obvious to me that those things were wrong and I'd be very surprised if she wouldn't have gone out with me.  I know she is single now, but even if I had the option, I don't know if I'd take it.  Part of it is the long distance thing that I really don't want to do, but I also wonder if part of it is that I wouldn't get the excitement of getting to know someone new.  When that happens, you get caught up in the rush of discovering and finding out all of these amazing things about them and its just a lot of fun.  Sure, you'll eventually find out the bad stuff, but depending on how good the good is, the bad stuff either doesn't matter that much or you'll find ways to work through it.  With this girl, I know there'd still be a lot of things to discover, but I somewhat feel like I know her already and since it hasn't happened yet, I don't know if it ever could.  Its definitely not a friend-zone situation since I'm fairly certain we've both wanted something at some given point.  I don't know.  My brain does weird things when I'm trying to find a way to force myself to relax and go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment