Thursday, March 20, 2014

But ordinary's just not good enough today

San Juan is growing on me.  The past two days have been good.  Yesterday I went and saw both San Cristobal and El Morro forts.  The thing that surprises you is just how massive they are.  It was really cool to walk around and explore.  Alongside that, Old San Juan is much better than Condado.  Old San Juan has appeal and charm while Condado is kind of a craphole for what's supposed to be a fairly ritzy area.

Today was a beach day as I went for about three and a half hours in the morning.  I'm ever so slightly darker with sunburnt calves, but it was fun and I've finally made it into the Atlantic Ocean.  After that, I wandered around Fortaleza street, growing slightly depressed because souvenir shopping was all tacky and mass produced.  This isn't new, but its fairly newish to me and that's what was depressing about it.  If I had been here long enough to learn something about the Taino culture, maybe things would have been different.

As I mentioned in the last post, the hotel has a rooftop deck that I enjoy, partially because it lets me look out over the city and also because it lets me enjoy the stars.  Tonight, there were other people up there and at the end of my time up there, I walked around the rails and just looked in to open windows, not in a voyeuristic way, but just because I wanted to see what the locals were doing.  I wanted to be let into their lives for just a glimpse.

Traveling by yourself does give you time to think.  In relationships, women focus on love and men on respect.  Tonight, I think I've realized that I almost treat love like respect in that it has to be earned which is a pretty messed up notion, but it would explain some things.  Cheryl once told me that I intentionally seek out girls with issues.  She was probably right and it might have been because if I find people with issues who want to be better, I look like a better person in comparison and therefore more worthy of being liked/loved/respected/whatever.  Cheryl was a prime example of this and that was a great blessing of a friendship until I got cocky and drunk and did the one thing I absolutely could not do and promptly ruined it.  The obvious exception to this is my family and I love them because we've been through so much together and I know that they truly want what's best for me.  I'm sure there's more to these thoughts but there at an infantile stage in my thought process.  I'll get back to you when I flesh it out a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment