Tuesday, March 18, 2014

He's out back counting stars

Originally, I was going to entitle this as "Don't preconceive what I'm all about" as a follow up to yesterday's post, but this seems much more appropriate.  You all know what I'm about already.

Yeah, things got to me yesterday.  It was bad enough that I was nervous this morning as I went out to my car and was relieved to see that it hadn't been towed/stolen/damaged.  Once I returned the car, a weight was lifted off because it meant I didn't have to worry about getting lost anymore or the possibility of racking up huge fines from damaging it.  Once I've turned it in, I'm down to basically walking everywhere with the exception of dropping $20 on a taxi to take to the airport on Friday.

The stuff that I needed the car for today was fantastic.  The hike up to El Yunque peak was fantastic.  I still have this innate ability to get out there too early (this time, despite bad directions from Google. Thankfully, there were road signs to help me out and the drive in the forest is actually a lot of fun with a lot of sharp twists.)  I was the first one on the mountain and was able to hike to the peak in silence which was a therapeutic blessing.  The downside of being out there first though was it meant I got to the top before the clouds had burned off.  My photos from the top look a lot like my photos from Clingman's Dome where you can see a lot of vegetation within 50 feet and then a lot of cloud.  Besides that though, the forest was beautiful and it was a fun hike, even if it wasn't all that challenging - my feet still function!  It did make the hassle of yesterday worth it to enjoy today.

I spent the afternoon exploring Condado and I have to say, I'm honestly not all that impressed with San Juan.  Even with the supposedly glitzy area that is Condado, its a little run down and graffiti is prevalent and the beach wasn't anything that astounded me.  I fully expect to enjoy the rest of my time here including tomorrow in Old San Juan, but I don't think I'll be making plans to come back any time soon.  If I did, I'd probably stay out in Fajardo so I can chill in El Yunque and check out the bioluminescent bays.  One really nice thing about my hotel here though is the rooftop lounge, which isn't anything fancy, but it was fun to spend half an hour out there tonight just chilling and watching the city in the dark and talking to Tori on the phone.  Further, despite being in the middle of the biggest city on the island, the light pollution isn't that bad and I was actually able to get a good view of the stars.  It was definitely better because I had the place to myself, but it was a nice moment.  I may try to get up there tomorrow morning to see if I can watch the sun rise.

So yeah, today was better.  Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment